Monday, June 7, 2010

Thankful

I know, two posts in one day - is the world coming to an end? Well, I don't know.
But I do need to post again. It seems a little ironic that amidst all this devasting illness in my family that I am thankful, but that's exactly how I feel tonight. Well, there is sadness mixed in.

I recently read a blog by a high school classmate about another classmate's baby. The young baby died within days of her birth. Now, a college classmate's baby remains in the hospital after being born two months early. (Although, there is good news that she is doing well and may go home soon.) I read some internet news about melanoma that concerns me about how long I'll have to have phone conversations with JoAnn, how many more times I'll make it home to see her, and how many more holidays I'll have with her.

But mixed with all this sadness, I'm thankful. I'm thankful for the ever-sweet JoAnn and her beautiful, smart children. I'm thankful for the luck my family has had throughout the years.

Every time someone is pregnant or sick, I hear someone (usually several someones) in my family comment about how lucky we've been over the years. Grahma had five pretty healthy kids. I knew my Great-Grandma Izzy - not only knew her, but stayed the night with her when she lived by herself. My mom's generation only had one miscarriage of which I know. My generation has only had one miscarriage of which I know. JoAnn's been the only other pregnancy where we've had a scare, and it lasted less than a day (as far as I remember).

This list isn't to diminish any of my family's pain or grief. Obviously, we've had our share. My grandfather died when my mom and her siblings were still young. My uncle has battled diabetes since childhood. My step-grandfather died of cancer after I graduated college. My Uncle Bill (who's really my grahma's brother) died while I was in high school (or maybe middle school). My Uncle Red (who's also my grahma's brother) died before I was born. My Aunt Lynda's recent cancer (which she beat). But, it could be worse.

It could be worse. Have I just been brain-washed by my family to believe this long-standing family mantra, or do I recognize the blessings and the value of having the love and relationships of my family? I think it's probably the second, but either way, I don't really care. I am glad to have my family. My closer-than-most family. (More on that later.) And, I plan to make the most of the time that I have with all of them.

Watch out, Casa de Stonestreet, I may be visiting more frequently.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn, I love that you are pouring so much raw emotion, heart and soul into your family. I came to know you in such a brief time in our lives, almost in passing really but I remember you being caring then, and you have demonstrated it towards me on more than one occasion such as you are now to your family. Yes, despite all the sadness and pain and loss in your life (I have a similar laundry list as do we all) it is only right to be thankful that it ends and we still have so many things, rather people and moments and memories that we can be thankful and grateful for each and every moment of our lives! Life is too short to wallow but better spent rejoicing in what we have today and celebrating each moment with those we love near and far in any matter possible - even if only online, on a blog, it shows how truly much you care!

    Thank you for showing your love and compassion so freely and openly and may your family continued to be blessed in so many ways, and I pray the Stonestreet family also receives blessings as well.

    ReplyDelete